At a splayed angle across the corner with Glanrafon
Hill. Dated 1923; architect D Wynne Thomas. The assessors of the
competition were Lord Plymouth and Sir Aston Webb and the rules
stated that the Memorial must be in the form of a building with
sculpture as a feature; opened by Edward, Prince of Wales on November
1st 1923. Tudor 2-storey gateway. ashlar
masonry with crenellated parapet, cornice,
panelled band, at 1st floor level with sunk shields, and plinth;
taller octagonal stair tower to right with arched headed lights.
Parapet and cornice
are splayed out over spandreled and transomed
oriel window with leaded panes; carved bosses to cornice
above window (those to either side are uncarved) and panelled
apron below with Welsh inscription. Slightly set back 4-centred
arched central entrance with foliage carved spandrels
and dragon stopped label; timber gates. Paired windows to either
side. Similar rear (N side). Panelled band continued around left
side with advanced centre and 2-light spandrel and transom window
under Tudor label. 2-stop-chamfered
beams with stone corbels
to passageway. Porters door to left with window; similar door
to right with coat of arms. Foundation stone inscribed with architect's
name and inscribed plaque stating that it was erected ".....
in memory of the men of North Wales who fell in the Great War
1914-18". The rectangular upper room reached by stone staircase
has all round wood carved panels listing the 8,500 names by Parish.
Double bronze doors with coats of arms and panelled ceiling with
Official Guide to Bangor N Wales, p7 (n.d.).
University College of North Wales Centenary Publication, (1984), p 27.
UK War Memorial Inventory Listing