At right angles to the road, elevated at the
SE end of the upper courtyard; Neuadd Alun immediately to NW. Dated
1910. The Normal College was founded by the British and Foreign
School Society to train teachers for non-denominational primary
schools. This building resulted from an expansion begun in 1907
and was built as the Principal's house. Architect, Henry T Hare
of London; contractors Messrs Willcock and Co of Wolverhampton.
and crafts Tudor style; T-plan. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay
cement render front to SW. Slate roof with swept boarded eaves
and cement render chimney stacks, one off centre. The taller and
projecting central bay has hipped roof, crenellated
parapet, splayed corners and pedimented
2-windows to 1st floor linked by hood-moulds and flanking a coat
of arms. The main entrance is in the SE return side of this bay;
arched headed doorway with dropped keystone
and 2-panel door below lettered plaque. Small pane leaded casement
windows of various widths. Chimney breasts advanced to gable ends
with pronounced kneelers over tapered corner pilasters
rising to 1st floor cill level. The asymmetrical NE elevation
resembles those of the hostels with raised central gable over
2-storey bay windows with extended glazing on ground floor. Small
outbuildings on NW and with short section of wall terminating
at ball finial
Group value with the neighbouring Normal College buildings.
References: P Ellis Jones, "Bangor 1883-1983: A Study in Municipal Government", (1986) p 16.
Bangor Normal College 1858-1958, Centenary publication.