To SW side of the upper courtyard; faces NE.
Dated 1910. The Normal College was founded by the British and
Foreign School Society to train teachers for non-denominational
primary schools. This building resulted from an expansion begun
in 1907 to accommodate the increased number of students and forms
part of an H-plan group of linked ranges. Architect, Henry T Hare
of London; contractors Messrs Willcock and Co of Wolverhampton.
and crafts Tudor style; T-plan. Designed to accommodate 60
men. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay cement render front; slate roof
with swept up ridge to apices and swept boarded eaves. Louvred
bellcote with finial
and off-centre cement render chimney-stack midway down roof pitch.
Central bay is taller and gabled
with kneelers; more pronounced kneelers to gable ends over tapered
rising to 2nd floor level. Small pane casement windows with bell
drip-moulds, mostly 2 + 2-light with dividing panel; flat roofed
dormers and stone spandreled window to central gable. Staircase
windows below stepped down and with dressed stone surrounds; 2+3+2-light
grouping with central 3-lights contained under a segmental pedimented
lugged to base. Raised lettering between floors reads "Neuadd
1910 Alun". Broadly splayed 5-light 2-storey bays to either
side; low segmental and chamfered
arched entrance to centre with half-glazed double doors in splayed
recess. 4-light transomed
window to ground floor right.
Cross range to centre rear with similar detail. Chimney stack
rising through gable and ground floor splayed across junction
of cross range. Splayed attic oriels to gable ends; 2-light windows
below and 4-light to ground floor. Single storey Arcaded
and covered passage adjoins right gable end and turns to link
with the central Domestic and Dining Ball range.
Group value with the neighbouring Normal College Buildings.
References: P Ellis Jones, "Bangor 1883-1983: A Study in
Municipal Government" (1986), p 16.
Bangor Normal College Centenary publication.