Street: College Road (NW side)
Name/Number: Neuadd Dyfrdwy (Normal College)
Date first listed: 17 April 1980
| Other Resources:
British and Foreign School Society
To NE side of the upper courtyard; faces SW. Dated 1910. The Normal College was founded by the British and Foreign School Society to train teachers for non-denominational primary schools. This building resulted from an expansion begun in 1907 to accomodate the increased number of students and forms part of a 8-plan group of linked ranges. Architect, Henry T Hare of London; contractors Messrs Willcock and Co of Wolverhampton. arts and crafts Tudor Wle; T-plan. Designed to accommodate 60 men.
3-storey and attic, 5-bay cement render front; slate roof with
swept up ridge to apices and swept boarded eaves. Louvred bellcote
and off centre cement rendered chimney stack midway down roof
pitch. Central bay is taller and gabled
with kneelers; more pronouced kneelers to gable ends over tapered
rising to 2nd floor level. Small pane casement windows with bell
drip-moulds, mostly 2+2-light with dividing panel; flat roofed
dormers and stone spandreled
window to central gable. Staircase windows below stepped down
and with dressed stone surrounds; 2+3+2-light grouping with central
3-lights contained under segmental pedimented
lugged to base. Raised lettering between floors reads "Neuadd
1910 Dyfrdwy". Broadly splayed 5-1ight 2-storey bays to either
side; low segmental and chamfered
arch entrance to centre with half glazed double doors in splayed
recess. 4-light transomed
window to ground floor right.
Cross range to centre rear with similar detail and chimney stack rising through gable; ground floor splayed across junction of cross range. Splayed attic oriels to gable ends; 2-light windows below and 4-light to ground floor. Single storey Arcaded and covered passage adjoins left gable end and turns to link with the central Domestic and Dining Ball range.
Group value with the neighbouring Normal College Buildings.
References: P Ellis Jones, "Bangor 1883-1983: A Study of Municipal Government", (1986), p 16.
Bangor Normal College Centenary publication.