Elevated above the road with broad views across the Menai Straits; at the w end of the old Holyhead road cutting. Dated 1810, (opened 25 October). Built by Benjamin Wyatt,architect to Penrhyn Estate, as the Caernarvonshire and Anglesey dispensary; commissioned by Dean Warren. Said to have been converted into a private house in 1847; the right hand cross range had been added by 1854 and the 1887 OS map shows the building much as it is today. In 1960s it was the office of Howell and Doherty, architects
and more recently premises of
Mr E. Barbour-Hill, Vetinary Surgeon
2-storey, 3-window coursed rubble symmetrical front with band course over ground floor. Slate roof and rendered end chimney stacks. Small pane sash windows, 16-pane except for that over the porch with parapet and cornice; segmental entrance with 6-panel door; modern inner door. In the porch are 2 slate tablets describing the history of the building, one states that it was sited here to be clearly visible from Anglesey, Advanced at either end are single storey screen walls with bearded doors in round arched headed entrances giving access to the cross ranges. French windows on the left gable end; right end is scribed rendered. Slate paved courtyard to rear with cross ranges stepped out from gable ends and extending back to Castle Bank. That to the left retains small pane sash windows, including one horizontally sliding; the large pebbledash chimney-stack may represent the former extent of this range before enlargement. The right hand range retains the Victorian larder with slate shelving,
Dressed stone gate piers to the front; slate steps and plain iron railings. The interior retains 6-panel doors, segmental hallway arch and tightly winding staircase with turned newel. The 1st floor was originally undivided and used as the hospital ward.
Group value with the old road cutting.
References: Ellis Jones, "Bangor” p 62, Captain Johnson's 1854 map.