Set back from the road in its own grounds with
forecourt. Dated 1899 (opened 1900); by Douglas and Minshull,
architects of Chester. The design competition was assessed by
R H Carpenter and the contractors were Messrs Hamilton & Son of
Altrincham; cost £12,000. The school was originally created
by Jeffrey Glynne in 1557 out of the old friary, founded in 1276,
and was sited at the N end of the town. Tudor style. Asymmetrical
mainly 2-storey front comprising 12-window school with projecting
central tower and attached 2-window headmaster's house to right.
Snecked rubble with freestone
dressings including string course, eaves band and gable parapets
Slate roofs and stone chimney stacks, to right with polygonal
brick flues; pyramidal roof to tower. Mullion and transom leaded
windows, mostly 3-lights; segmental headed lights to ground floor
and over entrance.
The 3-storey, 2-window entrance tower has overall Tudor label to the paired 3-light windows on the top floor; the segmental headed entrance is offset to left with flanking pilasters and panelled double doors and the stringcourse above is stepped up over stone carved coat of arms dated 1577. Alternate bays to either side are gabled and advanced at 1st floor with tall windows rising to attic level. One small attic window to right of tower. The headmaster's house to right has a projecting gable ended cross range with 4-light attic window over broad splayed bay. 3-gable ends stepped at NE end one range projects with segmental headed entrance in the angle; the 3-storey range behind that contains an unused attic dormitory. Attached at the rear is a single storey range and a further cross range extends from the central tower. The later ranges (not shown on 1901 map) have created two courtyards. The interior retains plain staircase with panelled newels and turned balusters.
H Barber and H Lewis, "The History of Friars School, Bangor", 1901.
The Builder, November 21 1698 and November 5th
Bangor Trader's Association booklet ca 1920.
Mate's Illustrated Guide to Bangor (1901) p 34.
2nd Edition O S map, Caernarvonshire 6 SE.
1881 Letter to parents.
MR. W. GLYNN WILLIAMS, M.A.,
PRESENT HEAD MASTER.
Friars School Dec 29', 1881
The Headmaster of Friars beg to draw the attention of parents to a serious evil affecting the school, for which they are themselves responsible. At the commencement of each term a large percentage of the boys are late in returning from their homes, and a week or more often elapses from the date fixed for beginning work before the whole school has assembled, as the defaulters, (on) their arrival, bringing excuses for their absence which for the most part are incredibly trivial and ridiculous. Now parents are earnestly requested to consider that the harm done in each such case is threefold: (1) The defaulter himself fails to obtain the full value of his school fees, and suffers a loss of tuition which cannot be estimated by the mere duration of his absence, as the first lessons in any subject, (which he misses), are often the most important in the term. (2) The form to which he belongs suffers, as the late arrival of even a single boy destroys the uniformity of the work of the whole form; and (3) The whole School suffers, in so far as every such case is subversive of that regularity of discipline without which no large body of this kind can have a healthy existence. In many Public Schools this evil is checked by the infliction of fines upon, or exclusion of offenders; but the headmaster of Friars hopes that this appeal to parents will render the adoption of such measures unnecessary.
W. Glynn Williams
Images from 1936 - outside Friars.
Clarke, M.L. (1955). The Elizabethan Statutes of Friars School, Bangor, Transactions of Caernarfonshire Historical Society, Volume 16, pp. 25-28
Griffith, W.P. (1988), Some Passing Thoughts on the Early History of Friars School, Bangor, Transactions of Caernarfonshire Historical Society, 49, pp. 117-150
Jones, E.W. & Haworth, J. (Eds.) (1957) The Dominican, Friars School