Below the cathedral; N side elevation to Deiniol Road outbuildings to E. [now demolished] Formerly the Bishop's Palace. An L-plan structure of ca 1500 was doubled in size ca 1600 forming the present basically U-plan shape; mid C18th central cross range to N and major additions dated 1810 by Bishop Majendie. Some alterations in 1960 renovation. 2-storey and attic; cement render elevations with plinth, slate roofs and boarded eaves.
The 6-window S front has asymmetrical projecting side ranges, formerly with polygonal end to left. The 2-storey, jettied and gabled porch to left formerly opened on to the cross passage; segmental arched and pilastered entrance with double doors. The later part to the right is slightly advanced. Small pane sash windows, some paired or tripartite; small pane attic windows, 1 midway up the roof pitch.
The left side has the twin gable end of the 1810 NW extension; 2 gothick windows in former doorways and round headed small pane windows above. Similar glazing to 3-window N elevation, including French windows with freestone surrounds and central slate plaque reading: "Dominus Gulielimus Episcopus Aedificavit AD 1810". Set back to left is a single storey flat roof range extending the remaining width of the building including porch below the 3-window central cross range; small pane sash windows, gothick to ground floor. Similar detail to E end with wide 2-window gable and tail chimney stack; attached service ranges.
The interior retains open-well staircase hall dated 1753 to oval ceiling rose; turned balusters, Ionic newel posts, carved tread ends and panelled dado. Later cast iron supporting column with acanthus leaves and spiral tendril. Council chamber (1st floor) has segmental vault with thinly detailed Adamesque plasterwork and gothic ironwork ventilator. 2 trusses visible from Chief Executive's Office, infilled with studded partition and 1 collar truss with arched braces; another is said to be of hammer-beam type.
Group value with St Deiniol's Cathedral.
Ellis Jones, "Bangor", p 66.
P Smith, "Houses of the Welsh Countryside", (1975) p 425.
RCAHM, Wales, "Caernarvonshire", p 9-11.
Plan showing the periods of construction.
Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales
Johnstone, Neil, 2000, 'Excavations at the Bishop's Palace, Bangor' Archaeology in Wales Vol40
Earliest known picture of Bangor Town Hall /Bishop's Palace
from:- Dinely 'Duke of Beaufort's Progress through Wales' circa 1680.