At the side of the lane leading up to the Golf Club; retained as a feature in the Penybryn gardens. Formerly the portico at the main entrance to the Penrhyn Arms Hotel built in 1799 by Benjamin Wyatt. Owned by Bicknell family in earlier C19 and then in 1884 it became the first home of the University College of North Wales. Additions were made by Richard Davies, architect of Bangor. The University moved to new buildings in 1926 and the hotel was later demolished to enable the A5 to be rerouted slightly to the N.
Freestone Tuscan Doric portico set against a coursed rubble arched entrance that formed part of the long georgian front. voussoirs to archway and sockets for beams for porch roof. Paired columns to the front of the portico, pilasters to the back; plain entablature with slate plaque reading: "1799-1884 Yma y Safai Gwesty'r Penrhyn Arms" Cartref Cyntaf Coleg Prifysgol Gogledd Cymru 1884-1926",
Group value with Penybryn House, The Old Farmhouse, Penybryn Bridge and the old road cutting,
Reference: M L Clarke, "University College of North Wales, Bangor. An Architectural History and Guide" p2 (n.d.).