|Tan Yr Allt
Street: Glanrafon Hill
Listed Status: Grade: II*
Date Listed: 09/11/1987
Date Amended: 24/09/1991
A Report (pdf)
by Bangor and District Buildings and Amenity Preservation Trust
- for the Architectural Heritage Trust December 1997 amended
and updated October 2005
On steeply sloping ground below the bend in the road; set amongst modern University buildings. Built in 1755 for John Ellis Archdeacon of Merioneth; some C19 and C20 alterations; square plan. Originally it had formal gardens sloping down towards the river. georgian
; two-storey and basement, 3-window, painted pebbledash front; hipped slate roofs with rendered chimney stacks. First floor windows have been altered to create broader small pane casements. Twelve-pane sash
windows to ground floor; sliding sash
basement windows. Central entrance with timber hood and half glazed door, reached by twin flights of stone stairs curved forward to either side; formerly with trellised porch.
The remainder of the building is formed of three parallel cross ranges. Original splayed bay window to right and a similar one added to the left side in C19; small pane sash glazing. C19 low outbuilding is attached to left. Two-storey, 4-window rear elevation; central 12pane sash stairwell window with broad glazing bars and offset below is a 6-panel door with modem hood; various sash windows.
The interior retains especially fine georgian detail including a Chinese Chippendale style staircase with carved tread ends and fluted reveals to the window. The entrance hall and right-hand main room have fireplace overmantels, lugged to the former and broken pedimented with bolection moulding to the latter. Other detail includes lugged architraves to the doorways, 6-panel doors, panelled shutters, dado rails, dentil cornices etc. First floor rooms are reached under landing arches with fluted pilasters and keystones; simple georgian stone fireplace to right.
Reference: RCAHM, Wales, Caernarvonshire, p15.
From the student publication 'Lookout'.
NB: 'In 1947 the College Acquired the Tanrallt site extending from the existing science buildings to Glanrafon , which provided much needed space for additional buildings.' Architectural History and Guide M.L. Clarke (1966)